Requirements for the bachelor’s program in Conducting (Choral Conducting)
Bachelor of Music / Conducting Major
For the pre-selection, a total of 3 uncut videos showing artistic presentations have to be submitted with the application. The total duration of the 3 videos should not exceed 45 minutes. The following requirements apply:
- Conducting subject: Recording of a self-conducted piece from a choir rehearsal or from a concert or from a recording with piano (excerpt max. 15 minutes). 1 uncut video.
- Piano: two piano pieces of your choice, without repetitions (max. 15 minutes). 1 uncut video.
- Singing: one aria and one song of free choice (max. 15 minutes). 1 uncut video.
2. Presence Examination
The presence examination includes the following parts:
- Artistic Presentation:
a) Piano performance:
- Prepared: three works from 3 different style periods of free choice.
- prepared: 1 song of free choice
- prepared: 1 aria of free choice
- vorbereitet: prepared: J. S. Bach, Christmas Oratorio Part 1, Nos. 6 and 7
d) Piano score playing:
- prepared: F. Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Elijah, no. 8 (widow scene) and no. 9 (chorus: Blessed is he who fears the Lord)
e) score sight-reading:
- Unprepared: a section from a polyphonic choral score.
- unprepared: a section from a given choral piece
- Questions on rehearsal methodology, conducting aspects and literary studies.
After positively passed tests of points a) to g):
Work with the RSH vocal ensemble: rehearsal lasting up to 20 minutes. The content of the piece is a choral work from the a capella literature. The sheet music will be sent approx. 4 weeks before the date of the qualifying examination.
A short reflective talk related to the artistic presentation.
The examination board reserves the right to make a selection from the prepared pieces.
After passing the presence examination:
Written exams in music theory and aural skill training.
Robert Schumann Hochschule Düsseldorf Fischerstraße 110, 40476 Düsseldorf
Fon: +49.211.49 18 -0 www.rsh-duesseldorf.de