Requirements for the Conducting master’s program (Orchestral Conducting)
Master of Music / Conducting Orchestra
For the pre-selection, a total of 2 uncut videos showing artistic presentations have to be submitted with the application. The total duration of the 2 videos should not exceed 20 minutes. The following requirements apply:
- two conducted works from two different style periods of free choice. 2 uncut video.
2. Presence Examination
The presence examination includes the following parts:
- Artistic presentation: It is recommended to coordinate the program with Prof. Bohn in advance!
a) Piano, melody instrument or voice: performance of three works from different style periods:
- a first movement and a slow movement from a classical sonata by Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert (by heart)
- one work of "Impressionism" (by heart)
- one work of contemporary music by a living composer (by arrangement)
b) Piano Performance:
- prepared: Performance of a major opera scene from the piano score by arrangement; performance of a classical symphony movement from the score by arrangement.
- unprepared: sight-reading of a presented score and a piano reduction.
- Fourth movement introduction and exposition from Brahms 1st symphony
- Egmont overture from Beethoven
After passing the tests of points a), b) and c):
d) Work with an instrumental ensemble of the Düsseldorf Symphony Orchestra:
- L'apres midi d'un faune by Debussy in the chamber version for the association by Arnold Schoenberg. Rehearsal lasting up to 20 minutes.
- A brief reflective conversation related to the artistic presentation.
The examination board reserves the right to make a selection from the prepared pieces.
Prof. Rüdiger Bohn