Requirements for the Schumann Junior program
Who is accepted?
Musically exceptionally gifted children and adolescents who pass the proficiency test. This takes place each summer for the following winter semester and in the winter for the following summer semester.
Requirements for the proficiency test:
For the proficiency test three works in the major (instrument or voice) must be prepared. The program prepared should cover different style periods and contain a virtuoso work/étude and a slow movement. The examination board can interrupt the presentation and reserves the right to make a selection from the pieces.
Exam criteria are:
a) technical ability
b) artistic interpretation
c) personal charisma
The subsequent interview has the purpose of determining whether the candidate’s proficiency and motivation demonstrate that the young person can achieve the goal of the early-admission program. The selection committee makes the decision “suitable” or “not suitable.”
What does the application consist of?
- A completed application form
- A curriculum vitae with previous musical education
- Confirmation of payment of the proficiency test fee
- A current school enrollment certificate showing the expected duration of school attendance
- A certified copy of the most recent grade school report card
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope (A4)
- A passport photo
- The application should also be accompanied by the detailed music program that has been prepared. This must be presented to the examining board on the day of the proficiency test – deviations from the submitted program are accepted.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline for the winter semester is March 1, for the summer semester October 31. The date-of-receipt stamp of the university applies.